Ben Bostrom talks shock MotoGP debut

MotoGP News
Date: 22/July/2011

At 37-years-old, and over five years since his last season in World Championship racing, Ben Bostrom will make a shock MotoGP debut in this weekend's US round at Laguna Seca.

The popular American will ride a second LCR Honda in the event - and also continue to compete for Basketball legend Michael Jordan's team in the AMA Superbike race.

Bostrom finished third in the 2001 World Superbike Championship for Ducati, with six race wins, but struggled the following season and - barring an unsuccessful return to WSBK in 2005 - has raced in America ever since 2003.

"It's going to be a big weekend. It's an honour just to sit next to these guys. I took a photo of my name tag up here just to remember it," said Bostrom in the pre-event press conference.

"It's a dream come true. It could be the only opportunity I'll have to ride in MotoGP. I've watched these guys race on TV and I'm a massive fan.

"This track is not too far from where I grew up and I feel the energy from the fans. I think I've won on every type of bike I've ridden here, but never an 800c and I've seen these guys ride.

"MotoGP is pretty awesome. It's definitely the pinnacle of the sport. You got to be a little bit intimidated. I'll just go out there, put my head down and try not to do anything I don't normally do.

"There's going to be a big difference between the two bikes I'll ride this weekend. I thought about it maybe a thousand times while lying in bed last night, staring at the ceiling!

"The Superbike is pretty standard. You’re literally flogging the thing around this track. The GP bike will probably roll around at that speed and then you gotta fight it above that.

"Just getting used to the 'fast-forward' nature of MotoGP and trying to get my brain up to speed. That's going to be the most difficult."

LCR's full time rider, Toni Elias, has had a demoralising season to date, the reigning Moto2 champion sitting 14th in the championship with a best finish of eighth, in the wet Silverstone race.

Bostrom hopes they can spur each other on this weekend.

"I've been in Toni's situation," said Bostrom. "Sometimes you just need a carrot to chase. I might be casing him, he might be chasing me. But regardless, if you have a guy on the same bike within ten feet of you in the garage, that's the first race. And then you overcome the next one after that. I hope the competition will help us both."

The last American to win at the US MotoGP was Nicky Hayden in 2006. The Ducati star welcomed Bostrom's surprise debut.

"I've known Ben since my dirk track days," said Hayden. "Having Ben on the grid is great for the fans. They want to support people they know. Ben is pretty special at this track, so hopefully he won’t show any of the regulars up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment