Jonathan Rea chasing MotoGP dream

MotoGP News
Date: 13/September/2012

The San Marino Grand Prix at Misano will be the biggest weekend of Jonathan Rea’s career.

The Ulsterman, 25, has been plucked from World Superbike by the official Honda MotoGP team to replace injured world champion Casey Stoner.

Rea’s temporary team-mate will be Dani Pedrosa, who is locked in a close contest with Jorge Lorenzo for the MotoGP title.

It’s a once in a lifetime chance for ten-time WSBK race winner Rea, who has been rewarded for remaining loyal to Honda in the production bike World Championship,

Rea has had just three days of testing with which to try and understand the exotic RC213V prototype, carbon brakes and Bridgestone tyres.

Rea said: “The GP bike is completely different and takes time. But I’m really enjoying this learning experience and the gap between me and the bike is getting closer.

“It’s a big challenge, but also I’ve been given the best opportunity with Honda to come here on a competitive bike. It’s not always like that. It’s easier to go from MotoGP to Superbike, and land on your feet with a great package.

“The successful Superbike riders who have come to MotoGP in the past, like Cal [Crutchlow] and Ben [Spies], made their mistakes in year one, but are now two of the best riders here.

“I have no expectation to compare myself to those guys just yet. I’m just going to lap up this opportunity and hopefully I can do myself proud.”

But Rea did admit that he wants a full time MotoGP ride for 2013.

“For sure I want the possibility to come in MotoGP. It’s every young guy’s dream. My hero was Kevin Schwantz [1993 world champion], so to race in MotoGP would be an honour. My future is not in my hands right now. I’ll have to wait and see.”

Rea will be aiming to impress Honda enough to secure the Honda Gresini seat - the only remaining RCV ride not already taken for 2013.

Cal Crutchlow, the most recent rider to make the jump from Superbike to MotoGP, believes Rea has what it takes to succeed - but warned not to expect instant success.

Crutchlow, who took his first MotoGP podium last time at Brno, said: “It's great to have Johnny here. He deserves the opportunity, as do a lot of the guys in World Superbike.

“Johnny has certainly shown his speed already and it just takes time. If you look at what I did last year, it was a disaster. It took me this long to even start to be fast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment