Valentino Rossi: I’m back!


MotoGP News
Date: 8/February/2013

‘I’m back’ - that was the message MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi delivered through an impressive performance on his Yamaha return, at the first test session of 2013.

Rossi, adored by fans worldwide for his colourful personality and record-breaking success, suffered a shock fall from grace when he left Yamaha for home Italian manufacturer Ducati at the end of 2010.

The Doctor didn’t win a single race during two seasons for the ‘red team’, but has swallowed his pride and returned to the multi-title winning YZR-M1 motorcycle alongside reigning Champion Jorge Lorenzo.

Lorenzo and last year’s title rival Dani Pedrosa remained at the top of the timesheets during this week’s test at Sepang in Malaysia. However it was the two riders just behind them - Rossi and rookie Marc Marquez, Pedrosa’s Honda team-mate - who stole the limelight.

Rossi, 34 this month, claimed he wasn’t sure he still had what it takes to be a top rider, but those doubts were erased after just a few laps on the Yamaha.

“What I’ve understood from my career is that the first feeling with a new bike is very important and I was straight in the top three,” he said. “When I tried the Ducati, after three laps I understood it would be very hard.

“So it was a great relief, because after two bad seasons you have a lot of doubt. Am I still a top rider? Am I still able to ride at the limit?”

A delighted Rossi went on to finish the three-day test in third place, 0.442s behind Pedrosa and only 0.113s from Lorenzo.

Rossi said: “I’m very happy. I cannot expect a better start to this new adventure because the test was so positive. I think we can fight for important results this year, because I am fast and competitive.

“My lap time got better and better, just like the top guys, and I’m only 0.4s behind. For sure I still have a lot of work to do to stay with Lorenzo and Pedrosa, but at least we have the potential to fight with them.”

But Lorenzo and Pedrosa were not the only riders Rossi highlighted as a threat.

Spanish teenager Marquez had caught Rossi’s eye while racing in Moto2, where he claimed the world title last season. The all-action Marquez was a close third fastest on the opening two days of testing, then fourth and a fraction behind Rossi on the final day.

Rossi said: “I said three or four months ago that Marquez can fight for victory from the start of the season. I like his attitude because it looks like he wants to win the MotoGP Championship at his first try.

“Marquez is ‘scary’ because of all the fast riders he has the most potential to improve even more.”

The second MotoGP pre-season test will be held back at Sepang at the end of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment