Bautista blows MotoGP title race wide open

MotoGP News
Date: 30/June/2012

Alvaro Bautista blew the 2012 MotoGP World Championship wide open by eliminating title leader Jorge Lorenzo at turn one of Saturday’s Dutch TT at Assen.

Lorenzo came into the event on the back of a three-race winning streak and as the man to beat in race trim, despite qualifying behind the Repsol Hondas on a showery Friday.

Third heading into turn one, Lorenzo was unaware that Bautista - pole sitter at Silverstone, but starting eighth on the grid after a fall in Assen qualifying - was running out of room after missing his braking point.

Bautista lost control of his RCV as the riders ahead turned in, with his sliding Honda then slamming into Lorenzo, launching the Yamaha rider into the gravel and his first non-finish in over a year.

“Today was a complete disaster, Alvaro's move was crazy,” said a furious Lorenzo. “I met him after the incident, he apologised and we shook hands but in my opinion this is not enough.”

Race Direction has imposed a last place start on Bautista for next weekend’s German Grand Prix as punishment for riding in an irresponsible manner and causing danger to another competitor.

But Lorenzo thinks he should have been banned.

“When I made a mistake in Japan in 2005 [in the 250cc class] I was penalized with a race ban. Race Direction told me that he will start from last position on the grid in Sachsenring but this is nothing,” he said.

“If the riders are not penalized properly then they will continue to do crazy things like today. My leg is a big bruise, a big impact but nothing serious happened.”

Lorenzo’s title rival and reigning champion Casey Stoner went on to win the race - erasing Lorenzo’s hard fought 25-point advantage.

“Now we are at zero with Casey so we begin again, the Championship is long so let’s see what happens,” said Lorenzo.


To make matters worse, Lorenzo’s damaged M1 spewed out a huge cloud of white smoke, prompting concerns that he will need to open another of his six engines for the season.

Also caught up in the incident was Cal Crutchlow, who ran off track as he took evasive action to avoid the mayhem. The already injured Englishman reached fifth at the flag and was also angry with Bautista.

“Alvaro was way too fast and I know he didn't do that intentionally but you have to be sensible when braking from high-speed for a tight first corner like that,” he said. “I had the pace to be on the podium today. I was actually quite lucky to avoid being collected by Alvaro and Jorge but I still had to run off track and I was last.”

Bautista meanwhile could only apologise.

“Unfortunately, when I followed Dovizioso’s wheel I lost my braking point and hit the brakes far too late. I tried to slow the bike down, but lost grip on the front and lowsided,” he said.

“I am very disappointed, even more so because I took out Lorenzo in the process and that was the last thing that I wanted to happen. It was my fault that he crashed out and I apologise profusely to him for that.”

Practice for round eight starts at the Sachsenring on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment