Lorenzo: Honda offer, but heart said Yamaha

MotoGP News
Date: 14/June/2012

MotoGP title leader Jorge Lorenzo received an offer from Honda, before committing his future to Yamaha for at least the next two seasons.

The Spanish ace, 25, held the key to the 2013 rider market following Casey Stoner’s shock decision to retire at the end of this year.

Lorenzo starts round six at Silverstone this weekend with a 20-point advantage over Honda’s reigning double champion Stoner. Lorenzo and Stoner are the only riders to win races this year.

Honda were predicted to make a big push to try an sign Lorenzo in place of Stoner and Lorenzo confirmed he was pursued by both of the Japanese manufacturers before making a surprisingly early decision.

The 2010 world champion said: “As you know I have signed for two more years with Yamaha and I’m really happy to stay.

“It was a difficult decision this time, as I had another offer from another brand, from Honda, and the decision was very tough. But finally I listened to my heart, and my heart said Yamaha.”

Lorenzo then joked: “I waited in case he [Stoner] changes his opinion and comes back to Honda for another year. So I left the place open to Casey!”

The five other factory seats - alongside Lorenzo at Yamaha and then two each at Honda and Ducati - remain vacant for 2013.

With Stoner leaving and Lorenzo in place, attention now turns to the future destination of seven time MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi. The Italian has struggled since joining Ducati in 2011 but remains the overwhelming fans’ favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment