Champion-elect Vettel shrugs off Monza boos

F1 News
Date: 13/Septembeer/2011

Sebastian Vettel may not have been the winner the Italian fans wanted in Sunday's Italian Grand Prix, but the young German's eighth victory of the season has put him on the brink of defending his F1 title.

The Red Bull ace cut an emotional figure as he wiped his eyes on the top step of the Monza podium, the same place where he had celebrated his very first F1 win in 2008.

"Obviously the first win here was very special," Vettel said. "So to win here again, given the memories I have for 2008 is incredible."

The partisan fans saw things differently. Vettel and second-place McLaren driver Jenson Button were booed on the podium, while Ferrari's Fernando Alonso received a roaring cheer for third.

Vettel commented: "I think all the people who had a Red Bull shirt or flag were very happy, but the majority came here dressed in red. Fair enough, it’s Ferrari’s home grand prix.

"There were people who were very happy with our result, but I think the majority, after a while, didn’t enjoy the fact that we were enjoying ourselves. You could hear that. Jenson said to me that [the booing] is normal here."

"I’ve had it for the last two years," revealed Button, runner-up at Monza every season since 2009.

Vettel knows boos would turn to cheers in an instant if he switched to Ferrari, a team he has been linked with in the past.

Whilst in no hurry to break his Red Bull links, the 24-year-old confessed: "The only thing that could make today better is wearing a red suit, to really be appreciated by all the fans.

"We will see what happens in the future, but for now I am very, very happy and I owe a lot to Red Bull. They gave me the chance when I was just 12 years old and we go back a long way… but you never know what could happen in the future. We will see."

Of more immediate concern will be wrapping up his second F1 title in succession, a feat he can achieve next time out in Singapore.

Vettel stands 112 points clear of Alonso and will be champion, with five rounds remaining, if he can raise his advantage to 125 points on the floodlit streets of South East Asia on September 25.

"I think I will allow myself to say we are in a great position," said the ever-cautious Vettel. "I think if you ask Fernando or Lewis or Jenson or anybody, Mark, I think they would like to swap positions with me. But it’s over when it’s over, not before. I think look at last year was the best proof. You don’t know until the last lap of the last race.

"I think we will just do Singapore as we did all the other races this year. Go there and take it step-by-step and see what we can do. I love the circuit. It is very interesting so I am looking forward and we will see what happens then."

No comments:

Post a Comment