Loris Capirossi: Retirement and reaction

MotoGP News
Date: 2/September/2011

Loris Capirossi's amazing 22-year motorcycle grand prix career will come to an end at the final round of the 2011 MotoGP season.

The 38-year-old announced his plans during an emotional press conference at Misano, in Italy on Thursday, venue for this weekend's San Marino Grand Prix.

Capirossi said: "It's difficult for me to say, after 22 seasons, but this will be my last race in Italy because I've decided to stop. To retire. It's strange for me hear other riders talking about testing for next year and I won’t be doing that."

A tearful Capirossi was then forced to pause, prompting a standing ovation from the media.

"I'm sorry for my emotion. I've been thinking a lot about whether to stop. Yes or no, yes or no. I think it's the right decision for me," he added. "Thanks to everybody that has supported me and I'll do my best for the last few races."

Capirossi, undefeated during his two years in the 125cc World Championship, also claimed a controversial 250cc title - following contact with team-mate Tetsuya Harada - and finished a best of third in the premier 500cc/MotoGP class.

After taking a single 500cc race win with Yamaha (1996) and then Honda (2000), Capirossi got his big chance when he was selected by Ducati to lead their factory MotoGP team, which entered the championship in 2003.

Capirossi had been chosen ahead of countryman Max Biaggi, who appeared a far stronger candidate. Team manager Livio Suppo later explained:

“When I was talking to Max, in his mind he was thinking ‘without a Honda you cannot win’. So I told the Ducati management ‘I know on paper Max is stronger, but Loris has been in a satellite team for three years and is dreaming of a factory ride. Biaggi has been in a factory [Yamaha] team for four years and is dreaming of a satellite Honda!’"

The 'hungrier' Capirossi proved an inspired choice, giving Ducati a podium on its MotoGP debut, a victory in round six and fourth overall in the championship - a stunning first-year achievement against the likes of Honda and Yamaha.

The closest Capirossi came to a MotoGP title was in 2006, when he was injured while leading the standings at round seven (Catalunya).

The Italian bravely rode through the pain at following events and finished the year with eight podiums - including three wins - but had dropped to third in the standings. In a sign of what might have been, the points difference to Nicky Hayden and Valentino Rossi was less than one race win.

Speaking moments after Capirossi announced his retirement, countryman Rossi said: 

"I have a lot of memories of Loris. The first were from the television when I was very young and maybe some guys here were not even born! I was a great fan when he was against Biaggi and the other Italian riders in 250 and after, for me to fight with him, was great.

"I remember the fight for my 250 championship in '99 and also a lot of battles with the 500cc two-stroke. But my best memories are from 2006 at Mugello and Sepang, fighting with Loris on the last lap. They were great battles and I think he is one of the best riders in our sport."

The change to smaller engines for 2007 grated with Capirossi's wide-open style, and he became the first of many high-profile riders to struggle on Ducati's 800cc Desmosedici.

Capirossi salvaged a ninth and final MotoGP win in mixed conditions at Motegi, the day that young team-mate Casey Stoner won the championship, before heading for Suzuki.

The sole highlight of Capirossi's three seasons with Suzuki was a 99th grand prix podium, before a return to Ducati - albeit with the satellite Pramac team - for 2011.

In a tough year for all Ducati riders, Capirossi has rarely looked comfortable and missed two races after being injured at Assen. He is just 16th in the championship and likely to require shoulder surgery at the end of the season.

Capirossi could still have continued his career with one of the new privateer MotoGP teams, or switched to World Superbike, but felt the time had come for a full stop… although he'd like one last podium between now and Valencia.

"I want to say to these guys 'please try to help me in the last races', because I have 99 podiums and I want to get 100!" smiled Loris, referring to the riders sitting alongside him at the press conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment