Crutchlow stays in all-British Tech 3 line-up

MotoGP News
Date: 25/August/2012

Having seen his hopes of a factory MotoGP ride evaporate, Englishman Cal Crutchlow will stay at Yamaha Tech 3 next season, alongside rookie countryman Bradley Smith.

Crutchlow’s priority for 2013 had been to secure a factory ride with Yamaha, but with no room at the official squad - and the request of a factory M1 at Tech 3 rejected - the 26-year-old then became the hot tip for a move to the Ducati team.

An announcement was rumoured for Mugello in mid-July, but nothing materlisied and when it became clear that Valentino Rossi was leaving, Ducati moved to secure the continued services of Nicky Hayden - the rider Crutchlow was tipped to replace

Crutchlow received a further blow when his own team-mate Andrea Dovizioso - who has taken five podiums this year - was picked to join Hayden at Ducati, leaving Tech 3 as Crutchlow’s most competitive option.

Crutchlow, 26, is fifth in the World Championship but yet to claim a MotoGP podium. The former World Supersport champion has been with Tech 3 since entering MotoGP at the start of last year and has signed a one-year contract extension.

Crutchlow said: “I am delighted to commit my future to the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team for at least one more year. Together we have made huge progress this season and achieved some strong results and I am confident we can be even more competitive in 2013.

“Yamaha put together a great package for 2012 and next year it will be even stronger. Hopefully I can reward their loyalty by challenging for the podium throughout 2013, which I know we are capable of.”

Smith, 21, currently races for Tech 3’s Moto2 team and claimed three podiums during his debut 2011 season.

That form prompted a surprise multi-year contract to be announced last September, compromising Moto2 in 2012 and then two seasons of MotoGP. But the triple 125cc grand prix winner is just seventh in this year’s Moto2 championship, causing some to question his MotoGP credentials.

However, upon announcing Crutchlow’s contract, Tech 3 also confirmed that Smith will move up to the premier-class as planned.

Smith said: “I have dreamed about being a MotoGP rider for as long as I can remember and to get this chance with such a professional and successful team is fantastic.

“It is clear from the results achieved by Cal and Andrea in 2012 that the Tech 3 Yamaha is a very competitive package and I can't wait to begin this new adventure in my career.

“I know I have a huge challenge ahead of me but I believe in my ability. I already know the Tech 3 Team so it won't be such a huge transition for me and I have a good relationship with Cal. This will be very important because I can learn a lot from him.”

Smith will make his MotoGP debut in the post-race Valencia test, immediately after the 2012 season finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment