Pedrosa, Lorenzo talk thrilling Brno battle

MotoGP News
Date: 28/August/2012

Dani Pedrosa won the best race of the MotoGP season at Brno on Sunday, beating championship rival Jorge Lorenzo in a duel that was decided at the very final corner.

Inseparable for the entire race, Lorenzo launched his victory attack with a surprise pass with just a few corners to go.

But Pedrosa pulled alongside as they raced uphill to the final chicane and passed Lorenzo’s Yamaha on the brakes.

Pedrosa said: “On the last lap I could hear Jorge right behind me and in the left hander I opened a little gap and ‘boom’ he was straight in. His bike was so close, it was right by my face!

“I was nervous but stayed calm, tried to get better drive up the hill and in the last corner I was alongside him. Jorge tried to release the brakes and we were head-to-head into the corner, but I could keep my line and win the race.

“It was amazing and I’m just so happy.”

Pedrosa’s third victory of the season has cut Lorenzo’s lead to just 13-points with six rounds and 150 points still to be decided.

“It was a fun race,” said Lorenzo. “We were both strong. Dani had his good points, I had mine and when it came to the last lap victory was so close that I had to try something.

“So I tried in the slow corner, but then made a mistake on the exit to the uphill, when I gave Dani enough space to overtake me. Then I wanted to pass him back at the last corner, but it was impossible.

“It was a great ride by Dani today, but next time maybe it will be different.”

Twelve-seconds behind the victory battle, Cal Crutchlow celebrated his new Tech 3 Yamaha contract by sealing his first ever MotoGP podium in third.

Crutchlow said: “To end a 12-year drought for a British rider to get on a MotoGP podium is a great feeling. I hope the British fans don't have to wait that long for the next one!”

Most teams will now remain at Brno for a test session on Monday, where World Superbike star Jonathan Rea will try Casey Stoner’s RC213V.

The world champion has returned to Australia for ankle surgery and Rea is set to take his place, alongside Pedrosa, at the forthcoming Misano and Aragon rounds.

Rea, who tested an 800cc Honda in 2010, said: “This is a great opportunity to ride one of the best bikes in the world.

“Sure the 1000cc bike will be much faster than the 800 I rode in Sepang, but I already have some familiarity with the bike and I know what I'm letting myself in for.

“It's an animal. A proper fire-breathing racing machine. I'm really looking forward to the challenge.”

No comments:

Post a Comment