Jorge Lorenzo: How I tamed the rain

MotoGP News
Date: 23/May/2012

Yamaha MotoGP star Jorge Lorenzo has revealed the secrets behind his evolution from a wet-weather lame duck to premier-class grand prix winner.

Lorenzo admits he used to be scared of the wet after countless accidents, but overcame his phobia by putting in a determined effort to learn the secrets of rain-riding.

That worked paid off with a first rain podium in 2008 and first win in 2011. But Lorenzo best wet performance yet was undoubtedly in Sunday’s French Grand Prix, which he won by almost ten seconds.

Lorenzo, the 2010 world champion, said:  “I used to hate racing in the rain. I was so scared when I was younger, because 90% of the time I would crash.

“After five or six years I thought ‘I have to improve my riding in the wet’. So I went to some go-kart tracks, watered the track and rode with small motorcycles. I kept training, training and training until finally I got it.

“I became faster and more consistent. Wet conditions are now more normal for me. Less risky. I’ve kept the skills I learnt and I’m quite competitive in the rain.”

Lorenzo’s victory means he now leads the 2012 world championship standings by eight points from reigning double world champion Casey Stoner (Honda).

No comments:

Post a Comment