Stoner blasts MotoGP retirement rumours

MotoGP News
Date: 4/May/2012

Reigning MotoGP champion Casey Stoner blasted rumours that he is considering retiring at the end of the 2012 season.

The Australian, 26, is out of contract at the end of this year, but insisted there was no truth to a recent front page article in the Spanish print media suggesting he could walk away from grand prix racing to spend more time with his wife and young daughter.

“Don’t believe what you read in the press. Don’t read what you produce,” was Stoner’s blunt reply to the media, on the eve of this weekend’s Portuguese round.

“Everyone seems quite good at stories and making them up. I’ve said in the past that I’m not going to keep riding until my mid 30s. But I haven’t decided what I’m doing, so certainly no-one else is going to know

“A few people’s contracts end at the end of this year,” he continued. “There’s nothing to do with retirement at this point. I definitely have to think at some point about how many more years I want to race, but not right now.

“This is just another rumour and it has no fact.”

Stoner, a world champion for Ducati (2007) and then Honda (2011) starts this weekend’s Estoril event just four point from title leader Jorge Lorenzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment