Hamilton ‘corrects critics’ with first Mercedes pole


F1 News
Date: 13/April/2013

Lewis Hamilton claimed his first pole position as a Mercedes driver during Saturday’s qualifying session for the Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai.

The Englishman, whose judgement in switching from McLaren to Mercedes during the winter was widely questioned, romped to the top by 0.28s over Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen.

Hamilton, who took his first Mercedes podium at the previous Sepang round, said of his critics:

“You can’t answer back in one result but definitely, bit by bit, the more and more we impress and improve the more they have to stand to be corrected.

“The team are just doing an incredible job and I’m just grateful, because it [the team change] could have gone either way.

“Of course, people have an opinion, but I’m just really grateful that I’m here and I’m in the fight. Today is such a blessing to be here, because it was such a big change for me, and a big step for me.

“I think I made the right choice.”

Hamilton’s task was made easier by the absence of both Red Bull drivers from the pole battle.

Mark Webber’s woes deepened when he stopped during Q2. The Australian - denied victory in Sepang when Sebastian Vettel defied team orders - was later demoted to the back of the grid after it was confirmed that there was insufficient fuel for the required technical checks. Red Bull blamed a fuel bowser problem.

Reigning triple Champion and 2013 leader Vettel did progress to Q3. However the German took a tactical decision to fit the harder tyre - denying him a shot a pole, but potentially increasing his chances of success in race. Vettel will start ninth.

Hamilton confessed that those who qualified on the softer tyre will be forced to pit very early in the race. However he does not feel it is necessary a disadvantage.

“I think everyone, no matter what strategy you’re on, everyone’s going to struggle on the option tyre, whether it’s high or low fuel,” he said.

“I’ve got really great strategists, I just trust them.”

Hamilton expects to be competitive in the race, with a realistic chance of victory.

“Of course the car is competitive, as it was last year, so that’s a big plus for us,” he said. “We’ve got good race pace, so I expect a really tough race, but I hope that we can maintain our position…”

Mercedes has not won a grand prix since last year’s Chinese victory with Nico Rosberg. Rosberg will start fourth on the grid, alongside Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso.

No comments:

Post a Comment