Rossi bursts out of the shadows on Yamaha return


MotoGP News
Date: 8/April/2013

Reigning MotoGP Champion Jorge Lorenzo dominated round one in Qatar, but it was the riders alongside him on the podium that stole the show.

Fallen star Valentino Rossi put two miserable seasons at Ducati behind him by fighting his way through the field to second place on his Yamaha return, while MotoGP rookie Marc Marquez delivered a daring ride to third.

Second place may not sound like much for a seven time MotoGP champion and record holder for race wins, but it was the manner of his Qatar rostrum that was most significant.

Whereas his three Ducati rostrums came during wet weather races, or picking up the pieces from incidents and accidents ahead, Rossi turned back the clock and went on the attack on Sunday.

Starting just seventh on the grid, the 34-year-old ducked and weaved his way up to fourth on the opening lap, but then ran wide as he tried to overtake Ducati successor Andrea Dovizioso.

Dropping back to seventh, Rossi watched anxiously as the riders ahead pulled clear before finally getting ahead of Stefan Bradl and hunting down the three-way fight for second place.

Rossi said: “My first target was to try to arrive in the podium in Qatar for the Yamaha comeback. I’m so happy.

“Because of my bad qualifying I wanted to overtake the guys in front quickly, but unfortunately when I overtook Dovizioso I touched Pedrosa and went wide. Then my race became harder because I was stuck behind Bradl.

“When I was free I had a great rhythm and I enjoyed it a lot because I could see my podium getting closer and closer.”

Rossi overtook Tech 3 Yamaha’s Cal Crutchlow and 2012 title runner-up Dani Pedrosa in successive laps - but Pedrosa’s rookie Honda team-mate Marquez proved a tougher prospect.

Unlike the others, the young Moto2 champion re-passed Rossi and the pair fought to the finish, with Rossi just 0.2s ahead. Lorenzo won by almost six-seconds.

“I thought the harder fight would be with Marc and it was like this to the last lap,” said Rossi. “But I rode well, didn’t make any mistakes and pushed a lot.”

Rossi’s performance naturally drew comparison with his 2004 Yamaha MotoGP debut, when he stunned the MotoGP world with victory in his first race since leaving Honda.

“Victory is always better than second place. Always. So Welkom was more special,” said Rossi. “But now my rivals are unbelievable. The level is very high. So to come back on the podium and second place is a great emotion.

“My target for the next race [Austin] will be another podium, because after that we go back to Europe and some good races for me and Yamaha. Usually the older tracks where I grew up and learned to ride are better for me.”

Without Rossi’s performance, the night would have belonged to Marquez, who set the fastest lap of the race and beat team-mate Pedrosa at his very first attempt.

Marquez said: "I started at my 100 per cent and I finished at my 100 per cent!

"I don't think I've ever been so nervous before a race. However, I regained my concentration at the last moment.

"When I rode behind Dani I learnt a lot, also later on with Valentino. Valentino was a tough rival to overtake on the final laps. He beat us this time, but we hope to learn from him and from everyone who went faster than us.

"But in the end I enjoyed it a lot and it is a dream come true to be up here with these two guys [Lorenzo and Rossi]."

Asked about Marquez, Rossi replied: “I did the fastest lap in my first race, and so did he - but I crashed, so he is better than me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment