Lorenzo seizes home pole, rivals crash


MotoGP News
Date: 4/May/2013

Jorge Lorenzo will start his home Spanish MotoGP from pole position after an intense Jerez qualifying session that saw three of his main pole rivals crash out.

Riding on the day of his 26th birthday, and at a circuit which has renamed the final turn in his honour, Lorenzo was never headed during the new 15-minute Q2 session.

The reigning double world champion’s best time was 0.247s clear of nearest rival Dani Pedrosa, whose rookie Honda team-mate Marc Marquez made it all Spanish top three.

Lorenzo said: “Today I’m 26 so it’s a good present to get pole.

“I knew the track was difficult because there had been a lot of crashes. So I thought I’d try my best in these conditions and try to do a perfect lap.

“I didn’t get it because I made a mistake in braking and went a little wide, but still a good lap and pole position.

“Tomorrow I think the pace will be much slower because of the tyre wear so we need to work on the bike to be ready.”

Pedrosa, also a former Jerez MotoGP race winner, joined fellow pole contenders Cal Crutchlow and Valentino Rossi in being caught out by the slippery conditions.

“I don’t know why I fell,” admitted Pedrosa. “I just lost the front but fortunately I’m okay and the bike seems quite good for tomorrow. Some riders have a good rhythm and the race could be tight.”

Marquez had fallen in morning practice but kept his RCV upright in qualifying to claim the final place on the front row.

 “I don’t think I can battle for another win but anyway we will do our best,” said the Austin winner. “This front row is important. I’m very happy because we had been struggling at this circuit and in qualifying I was quite close. Better than I expected.

“For tomorrow I have good confidence, but I think Jorge and Dani are one step ahead of us. I will try to concentrate and stay calm in front of all the home fans.”

Marquez and Lorenzo are currently tied at the top of the world championship, with one win and one third place apiece.

Crutchlow, Rossi and Alvaro Bautista (Gresini Honda) will start on the second row of the grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment