Big scare for Marquez at Mugello


MotoGP News
Date: 31/May/2013

One place a MotoGP rider doesn’t want to fall is flat out along the 210mph home straight at the Mugello circuit in Italy.

But that’s exactly what happened to rookie star Marc Marquez during Friday free practice.

Marquez, 20, lost control of his Repsol Honda just as he touched the brakes for turn one, sending him off the circuit and towards the concrete trackside wall.

"Just after the hill on the straight I grabbed for the brakes but I lost the front,” said Marquez. “I tried to save it but the bike was pulling me towards the wall so I jumped from the bike to avoid hitting it.”

It was a huge accident, but could have been much worse.

Marquez avoided becoming tangled with his bike, or hitting the wall, but the sheer speed of the accident left him with numerous relatively minor injuries. The hard riding Spaniard was taken to a waiting ambulance on a stretcher before being transferred to the medical centre.

“I hit my chin hard and strained my neck quite badly, I also have some contusions to my right shoulder, arm and leg but other than that I'm ok,” said the Spaniard. “Thanks to all the medical team that were quickly on the scene to assist me. Now I need to rest and see how I feel later tonight and in the morning."

Marquez starts round five a close second in the World Championship behind team-mate Dani Pedrosa and having finished on the podium in all the races so far this year, including victory in Austin.

With Marquez sidelined and Pedrosa struggling for grip, Yamaha riders Jorge Lorenzo, Valentino Rossi and Cal Crutchlow filled the top three places in Friday practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment