Pedrosa breaks free for Mugello pole


MotoGP News
Date: 1/June/2013

MotoGP Championship leader Dani Pedrosa surged from seventh to pole on his very final lap of Saturday’s qualifying session at Mugello, Italy.

The Repsol Honda rider had been visibly agitated at slower riders trying to catch a tow in his slipstream, but found enough space for one last chance at pole.

The Spaniard delivered a new lap record, beating Yamaha’s Jorge Lorenzo to the top spot by just 0.069s.

Pedrosa said: “I couldn’t find a clear space on the track to make a lap time, many riders were behind me and it wasn’t looking good for me until the last lap.

“I was upset with the other riders because I hadn’t done a good lap time - and each lap they were following I had to stop otherwise you can tow two or three riders around and give them a faster lap time than you.

“So I had one chance left and managed to do a great lap and put it on pole, but most important is that we made improvements to the bike for the race.”

Andrea Dovizioso, who had been among those to anger Pedrosa, will complete the front row for Ducati. The former team-mates were seen talking over their differences after the session.

“[Dovi] was trying to follow me. I understand his position… It was not only him. He was one of them. Everything is alright,” said Pedrosa.

Pedrosa will be seeking to extend his title advantage with a third victory in a row on Sunday. Team-mate and nearest rival Marc Marquez will start from sixth, having been left battered and bruised by a 170mph Friday fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment