‘Incredible' home pole for Hamilton


F1 News
Date: 29/June/2013

Lewis Hamilton took a popular home pole position for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Saturday.

The Englishman led another Mercedes qualifying one-two, this time getting the better of team-mate Nico Rosberg by a sizeable 0.452s.

“It’s incredible! It feels just like it did in 2007,” said Hamilton, who took pole as a rookie with McLaren that year. “Just to see the crowd here today is fantastic - such a great turnout from everyone. So that lap was for them. I hope that tomorrow we can do something special for them.

“The team have been doing a phenomenal job, improving the car constantly. I haven’t been feeling 100 per cent comfortable - so I was really happy to finally get a lap. Out of all the cars I’ve driven, this is one of the hardest to drive. But when you pull it together, it’s a great car and obviously very quick.”

While Rosberg has already tasted victory this season, Hamilton’s best results are three third places. The former world champion knows his greatest Sunday threat could come from third on the grid Sebastian Vettel.

“I think undoubtedly it’s going to be tough for [Rosberg and I] to keep Sebastian behind, but our long run pace wasn’t as bad as we’ve seen in the past, so I’m hoping with the temperatures and a bit of care, we can nurture the tyres to get a good result,” he said.

“I’m going to be pushing, giving it my all tomorrow, as I’m sure Nico will as well.”

Red Bull’s reigning triple champion Vettel is poised to build on his 36-point title lead with nearest rival Fernando Alonso just tenth for Ferrari in qualifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment