Webber to swap F1 for sports cars


F1 News
Date: 27/June/2013

Red Bull’s Mark Webber will bring his twelve-year F1 career to a close at this year’s Brazilian season finale.

The Australian is switching to sports car racing with Porsche, where he will drive the factory’s new LMP1 prototype at the Le Mans 24 Hours and World Endurance Championship.

Webber said: “I'm very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1. Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sports cars in the world.”

Webber, 36, arrived in F1 with Minardi and drove for Jaguar and Williams before joining Red Bull in 2007, with whom he claimed the first of nine wins in 2009.

Currently fifth in the Championship with two podiums, Webber insisted that there had been options to continue in F1, but that “Formula One as a category wasn’t on my radar for 2014.”

Webber’s post-2013 future at the Red Bull team was in doubt since the latest high-profile rift with team-mate and reigning triple title winner Sebastian Vettel, who broke team orders at Sepang.

Webber denied the incident had played a part in his decision and added that there are plenty of things he will miss about F1.

“I realise F1 is seen as the absolute pinnacle of motorsport and I’ve worked with some incredible people, in particular [designer] Adrian Newey.

“I’ve driven in some of the toughest and most challenging conditions and circuits, and against some incredible drivers which I’ll continue to do until the end of the year.

“Will I miss some of this? Yes, of course, but time doesn’t stand still for anyone and it’s time to move on to my next challenge.”

Former World Champion Kimi Raikkonen, currently at Lotus, plus Toro Rosso drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Éric Vergne lead the list of likely replacements.

Vettel recently extended his Red Bull contract until the end of 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment