Rossi rolls back the years with 'special' Assen win


MotoGP News
Date: 29/June/2013

MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi turned back the clock with his first victory in over two years at Assen on Saturday.

Rossi took seven titles and averaged seven wins a season from 2000-2011, but then made the ill-fated switch from Yamaha to Ducati.

The unique characteristics of the Italian machine flummoxed even Rossi, who cut his losses and returned to Yamaha this year, admitting his first task was to discover if he was still a top rider. 

Rossi had taken just one podium from the first six races, but found a cure for his main braking weakness during recent tests in Spain.

When team-mate and reigning champion Jorge Lorenzo broke his collarbone at Assen on Thursday, Rossi knew he had to step up and lead the Yamaha challenge this weekend.

Starting fourth on the grid, Rossi overtook Honda’s World Championship leader Dani Pedrosa for the lead on lap 6 of 26 and went on to claim a record 80th premier-class win by 2.2s over Pedrosa’s rookie team-mate Marc Marquez.

It was Rossi’s first win since the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix and the relief was obvious.

“I cannot believe it! It's been a long time since Sepang 2010 and I didn't know if I could win again. It’s been a tough period but I never gave up. This is my passion and I love to race motorcycles

“Today was something special. It is one of the best victories in my career. I’m so happy because I won a real race where all my opponents were very strong and very fast, apart from Jorge with his injury.

“I had a good feeling, I could overtake on braking and I felt good on the bike. We have made a step with the bike, I can ride in a better way so we have to try and stay with the top guys every weekend.”

Rossi - joined on the podium by Marquez and debut pole sitter Cal Crutchlow - also paid tribute to a brave performance by Lorenzo. The Spaniard, riding just one day after shoulder surgery, defied his injuries to claim an ‘incredible’ fifth place.

“Jorge rode an incredible race, we have to say a special congratulations because he had great courage to do this and also he made an important step for his Championship,” said Rossi.

Rossi remains fifth in the World Championship, which Pedrosa leads by nine points from Lorenzo. Early leader Pedrosa dropped back to fourth in the race, thus missing out on a golden opportunity to gain big points on Lorenzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment