Lorenzo toughs it out for ‘perfect day’


MotoGP News
Date: 16/June/2013

Reigning MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo soaked up searing heat and race long pressure from title rivals Dani Pedrosa and Marc Marquez to claim a lights-to-flag home win on Sunday.

The Spaniards were released at the front from lap 6 onwards, when Englishman Cal Crutchlow crashed out of fourth place.

Lorenzo’s lead over Pedrosa was less than one-second for most of the grand prix, but the Honda rider blinked first and the #99 gained breathing room in the closing laps.

“A perfect day - to be honest I didn't expect to win, I knew I had some chance but not like in Mugello where I was more convinced we could get victory,” said Lorenzo, who has now won three of the six races this season.

“I kept pushing 100% all race because any mistake would have been a disaster.

“Dani was there and we played some games, I was 0.5 ahead then 0.2; I was going then he was recovering me. Finally, because I was tough mentally and never gave up, I could open in the last five laps a little gap that was enough to win.”

Pedrosa’s championship lead has now been reduced to just seven points. The double 2013 race winner was disappointed not to be able to put up more of a fight.

“We three frontrunners were battling the track conditions today. It was a bit disappointing not to be able to push more, since the differences between us all was minimal.

“We rode practically the entire race without any overtaking. But when I tried to open the throttle the bike wobbled in the front and I had to be very careful."

Rookie Marquez hounded Pedrosa, riding in his 200th grand prix, throughout the race - but fumbled an attempt to pass and almost wiped out his team-mate on the penultimate lap.

 “We didn’t touch but it was very, very close,” said Marquez. “I already said to him, ‘When you see the video, sorry!’”

Further back, fourth place Valentino Rossi lashed out at Alvaro Bautista after the Spaniard came close to colliding with the Italian on the opening lap - for the second race in succession.

“One mistake can happen. But doing the same at the next race, another time with me, is very stupid I think. He tried an impossible braking. Fortunately I released the brake and went wide, otherwise we would have crashed together again.”

Round seven takes place at Assen, Holland at the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment