Alonso: ‘No politics’, but Hamilton strongest rival


F1 News
Date: 18/January/2013

Ferrari’s 2012 F1 title runner-up Fernando Alonso has rebuffed Red Bull’s claim that he is ‘constantly involved in politics’.

Earlier this month, Red Bull F1 team advisor Dr. Helmut Marko stated: "Alonso is constantly involved in politics. Saying things like, 'I'm competing against Hamilton, not Vettel,' and 'I'm up against [Red Bull designer] Newey.”

But Alonso, who lost the World Championship to Sebastian Vettel by just three points, rejected the claim when quizzed on the issue during Ferrari’s Wrooom Press event in Italy.

“I don’t think I am good at politics, I just drive the car,” he said.

The Spaniard then taunted his critics by adding: “Some recent remarks have surprised me, but I can’t see the sense in them. Some say they don’t read them, don’t hear them and don’t see them, before adding that they are not influenced by them: so clearly they do read them, maybe at night…”

Alonso was also unrepentant in his claim that Hamilton, and not reigning triple Champion Vettel, is his toughest rival.

“Why do I say Hamilton is the strongest? Because it’s what I think, it’s my personal opinion and there is nothing political in that,” he declared.

“Lewis has always won races ever since he has been in F1, even in years like 2009, when he had started the season with a car that was two seconds off the quickest. When you look at what happens on track, you are well aware of what he is doing, that’s a fact.”

Hamilton, whose relationship with Alonso has been repaired since an acrimonious season as McLaren team-mates in 2007, is switching to Mercedes for 2013. Alonso backs the Englishman to win several races. 

“Last year, Rosberg won in China, therefore I expect that this year, Lewis in a Mercedes can win more than one race.”

Turning to Vettel, Alonso insisted he has never attempted to play down the young German’s achievements. But in something of a barbed compliment he said that Vettel was definitely the best driver in certain ‘periods’.

“I did not say that Vettel was not the strongest or that he did not deserve his three titles, There have been periods, like in 2011, when his performance level was fantastic and he was definitely the best.”

Looking broadly at F1, Alonso admitted that the relentless race schedule takes its toll and that he’d like to see the calendar shortened.

The double World Champion, a grand prix driver since 2001, said: “We had the last grand prix at the end of November and almost right up to Christmas, there were events I had to take part in.

“There’s only the end of year holiday when one can have a break and I’ll try to fit in a few more days between now and Melbourne to recharge my batteries.

“20 races is a lot and it’s not easy to maintain a maximum performance level, both physical and mental, for the whole year. Maybe it would be better to have one or two fewer races and a few more test sessions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment