Lorenzo victory triggers MotoGP title showdown


MotoGP News
Date: 27/October/2013

The MotoGP World Championship will be decided at the final round in Valencia after Jorge Lorenzo took victory in Sunday’s Japanese round.

Marc Marquez has started the last two races with the chance to become the first rookie to win the premier-class crown since 1978.

Instead reigning Champion Lorenzo has won on both occasions which, combined with a black flag for Marquez in Australia, has helped the Yamaha rider move from 43 to 13 points behind with one round remaining.

Lorenzo led the Japanese race from start to finish, absorbing pressure from Marquez until the pace finally became too much for the 20-year-old. It was Lorenzo’s seventh win of the year, one more than Marquez, and the 200th for Yamaha in the premier-class of motorcycle grand prix.

“To be the rider to get the 200 wins is a great honour,” said Lorenzo. “To win at Honda's home race is even more special!

“It was a very difficult race today but I never gave up. Finally I was able to make a little gap. We are very proud of this victory, for the result, for the circumstances and for the championship, it couldn't be better.”

On the forthcoming title showdown, Lorenzo added: “Until we finish racing we know the championship is not over. I'm not leading so it's not all up to me, so let's see how our strategy is at Valencia.”

Marquez, who had fallen heavily in morning practice at Motegi, said:

“I tried to follow but in the end Jorge pushed a little bit more. I was too much on the limit, there was too much risk and I say 'ok, 20 points for the championship'. There will be another race in Valencia that will certainly be interesting.

“Now I must focus and do my best in Valencia. We can't forget it's my first season and [winning the championship] wasn't my target at the start. But I will try for sure.”

Marquez, who has been on the podium in all races he has finished this year, is guaranteed to take the title if he is fourth or higher at Valencia, regardless of where Lorenzo finishes.

The MotoGP title has not been decided at the final round since 2006, when Nicky Hayden emerged victorious despite trailing Valentino Rossi heading into the Valencia event.

No comments:

Post a Comment