Vettel reflects as fourth F1 title looms


F1 News
Date: 14/October/2013

Sebastian Vettel is on course to be crowned the 2013 F1 World Champion next time in India, after claiming his fifth victory in a row during Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix.

The young German - hampered by KERS problems in qualifying - survived first turn contact with Lewis Hamilton, then turned the tables on Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber with a two rather than three-stop strategy.

Vettel said: “I had a very poor start. I was right between Romain [Grosjean] and Lewis and I clipped a little bit the front wing. Lewis had a puncture and I couldn’t go anywhere.

“After that we were patient, looked after the tyres and had incredible pace towards the end. So we managed to get past Romain, beat Mark on another strategy so, all in all, fantastic.”

Pole starter Webber was ‘surprised’ that the team switched him to a three-stop.

“I was trying to beat Romain on a two [stop] and then all of a sudden we decided to do a three. I was a little bit surprised. I asked was it the right thing to do…”

Vettel won by seven seconds from Webber, with Lotus driver Grosjean three seconds further behind.

Vettel is now 90 points clear of Fernando Alonso - who finished fourth at Suzuka - and will wrap up the title in India if he can stay at least 75 points in front of the Ferrari driver.

Vettel dislikes talking about the title before it is over, but did reflect on how far he has come in a relatively short space of timing - having made his F1 race debut in 2007.

“When I was small, I was dreaming about Formula One and honestly never thought that one day I would be able to test one of these cars. First time I tested the car, I sh*t myself the first couple of laps and I thought, alright, that’s for real men, not for me!

“Then I got used to it and obviously wanted to do more. A couple of years later, obviously I had the chance to get a drive, Red Bull gave me the chance at Toro Rosso to get some races.

“It’s incredible what’s happened over the last couple of years but nothing has changed in the way that I still love racing, I love the challenge, I’m still nervous when I wake up on Sunday, still excited when I walk on the grid and tense, looking forward to the race.

“Enjoying - not the numbers – but enjoying the fact that I’m racing and a great crowd today, a fantastic day. As I said, I think it would be a shame if you were too tense and if you tried to force things too much.  I think you have to allow yourself to enjoy it because this is not normal, it doesn’t happen to everyone.

“I think I’m very fortunate that I’m one of these 22/24 guys in Formula One. As I said, we leave the hotel, great respect from the fans, they’re cheering, they’re shouting our names and it’s just great.

“That’s what I’m looking forward to most, obviously try to do it again. I love trophies so I don’t mind collecting a few either!”

The Indian F1 Grand Prix takes place on October 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment