Crutchlow explains Ducati move


MotoGP News
Date: 15/August/2013

Cal Crutchlow has explained why he will be swapping a proven Tech 3 Yamaha for the fickle factory Ducati in MotoGP next season.

The British star, 27, is in the form of his life, claiming four podiums and one pole position so far this year on satellite M1 machinery.

But with Yamaha unable to guarantee a move to its factory team in the near future, Crutchlow has decided to severe his long links with the company for a fresh start - and full factory status - at the troubled Ducati team.

“It was difficult decision to make because I didn't want to leave my Tech 3 team. It wasn't a difficult decision to change manufacturer,” Crutchlow said.

“This is a new challenge for me, it's something different. We've been three years in MotoGP with Yamaha now and also World Supersport and World Superbike. But sometimes it's time for a change.

“The deal that was put on the table in front of me I was happy with, and there's no reason why I shouldn't change.

“I think it's a new motivation for me, as well and obviously it might be a little bit different position-wise, straightaway anyway, but my motivation is to try to bring the bike to the front.”

For a perfect illustration of the size of the challenge ahead, Crutchlow needs to look no further than his former and future team-mate Andrea Dovizioso.

The Italian outperformed Crutchlow at Tech 3 last year, claiming six podiums and fourth in the World Championship, then moved to Ducati and is only seventh in the points with a best dry race finish of fifth.

“It seems difficult for Andrea now,” conceded Crutchlow. “He's a strong rider in the championship. He's a good class of rider. He's rode for three different bikes, and it seems Ducati is the most difficult for him at the moment. But things can change, and hopefully it will change before I get there.

“I'm not worried. At the end of the day, it's a motorcycle that people have done very well on in the past and not just one rider. I will give 100 percent and I believe my 100 percent will be good enough. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't be racing a motorcycle.”

After winning the MotoGP title with Casey Stoner in 2007, Ducati’s race wins halted when the Australian moved to Honda at the end of 2010 - with even MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi unable to make an impact with the Desmosedici.

Rossi, now back at Yamaha, had this advice for Crutchlow:

“At the beginning it will be hard because the Ducati is more difficult to bring at the limit compared to the Yamaha. But anyway, I think that Ducati have to work a lot. I think they know they have to raise the level of the bike and it will be interesting to see what happens.”

Until his Ducati debut, at the post season Valencia test, Crutchlow has his sights set on claiming a debut MotoGP victory.

“My priority now is to do the best job I can for Tech 3. I took my first podium in MotoGP with them, and they stood by me after a first tough year. I think if there's anything we can do for the rest of the year, it will be to try and take a win. I don't know where it will be, but I'll definitely be trying.

“I've got nothing to lose. It doesn't matter where I am in the championship, particularly.”

Crutchlow will take the place of Nicky Hayden, whose MotoGP future is unconfirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment