Fab four for Hamilton at Spa


F1 News
Date: 24/August/2013

Lewis Hamilton made its four F1 pole positions in a row after emerging on top of a thrilling qualifying session for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

Rain showers kept the drivers on their toes until the end, with Force India’s Paul Di Resta holding the advantage until a last-gasp improvement in conditions saw Mark Webber, then Sebastian Vettel and finally Hamilton claim pole.

Hamilton, who took his first Mercedes victory just before the summer break, said: “When I started the lap, I saw on the screen that I was about seventh or eighth and I thought ‘Oh my God’, especially as it was raining more.

“Then I went wide in turn one and my dashboard was really confusing me in terms of whether I was up or down on my previous lap. I pushed quite a lot in the middle sector particularly as I thought I was down three seconds. I was really caning it!

“I can’t remember the last time I crossed the line and had such a good feeling. I was looking for the TV screens and I could see the team was cheering so I couldn’t believe it. It’s just crazy to think that this is my 31st pole and it still feels like it’s the first one. It’s just an incredible feeling and I’m very grateful to be here today.”

The Red Bulls had looked especially strong during free practice, but Hamilton feels he has a fighting chance in the race.

“I think this weekend they’ve both shown incredible pace. But I’m hoping that whatever the conditions tomorrow we can try to fight it out with them. I generally feel we’re quite close.

“I still feel the Red Bull is a little bit ahead of us and that’s why results like this today feel even better, because it feels like we extracted more than what the car can actually do, so I’m really happy with it.”

Vettel starts round eleven of 19 with a 38-point lead over Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen, with Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso a further point behind. Raikkonen and Alonso will start eighth and ninth respectively.

Hamilton is nine points behind Alonso in the standings.

No comments:

Post a Comment