Crutchlow defies ‘curse’ for home front row


MotoGP News
Date: 31/08/2013

Cal Crutchlow has made three home British MotoGP appearances and suffered big Saturday accidents on each occasion.

Crutchlow’s 2011 Silverstone debut ended when the Tech 3 Yamaha rider sustained a broken collarbone, while last year saw him sent to the back of the grid after missing qualifying due to a fractured ankle.

The curse continued in 2013 with Crutchlow falling at 185mph on his very first flying lap of the morning. Passed fit by medical staff Crutchlow returned to the circuit - and was thrown down the road again!

“Well that was just a normal Saturday for me at Silverstone! After what happened in 2011 and 2012, the last thing I needed was a crash, so to have two made it even worse,” said Crutchlow, the leading non-factory rider in the World Championship

“Both were very fast crashes and I am thankful not to have been injured, though my right arm is covered in abrasions and is quite painful because of the swelling.

“The first crash was my fault because the front tyre was too cold. And in the second one, with my arm hurting, I just couldn't hold on when the bike starting moving around on the brakes.”

Fortunately Crutchlow turned it around in qualifying, claiming an excellent third place start.

“After all that happened this morning it feels great to be on the front row, but the gap to Marc and Jorge is pretty big and it will be tough to beat them tomorrow. But I'll give it a go, you never know what's going to happen.

“The support from the British crowd today really spurred me on. They've really got behind me and it was a good feeling to bounce back from the crashes to get a front row.”

Honda’s rookie title leader Marc Marquez will start from pole after getting the better of Yamaha’s Jorge Lorenzo by just 0.128s.

A British rider has not finished on the home podium since 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment