Marquez masters Brno, but no backing off


MotoGP News
Date: 25/August/2013

Rookie Marc Marquez inflicted a second bruising defeat on MotoGP title rivals Dani Pedrosa and Jorge Lorenzo in the space of a week, at Brno.

Having beaten his more experienced countrymen at Indianapolis, Marquez repeated the feat despite stiffer opposition in the Czech Republic.

Reigning double World Champion Jorge Lorenzo held control for the majority of the 22-lap race and successfully repelled Marquez’s first attack. But Marquez wasn’t to be denied and made what would be his victory pass with four laps to go.

Pedrosa, having been in Marquez’s wheel tracks throughout the race, demoted Lorenzo to third a lap later. Pedrosa then set his sights on Marquez, finishing just 0.3s behind at the chequered flag.

“I'm so happy! Before we came here I didn't expect to win, because Jorge and Valentino had both tested at Brno recently and Dani is always so fast here and won the race last year,” said Marquez.

“The battle with Jorge was really good and we are pleased with the victory.”

It was Marquez’s fourth win in a row and fifth of the season, pushing his Championship lead over Pedrosa to 26 points, more than one race win.

Marquez insisted he will not change his approach in the remaining rounds:

“My personality is always to attack. There are still seven races to go, so we need to keep pushing. Dani and Jorge are both so strong, but especially Dani I think will be the most dangerous.”

While Lorenzo could take some comfort from being by far the best of the Yamaha riders, Pedrosa has equal machinery to Marquez.

“I just needed another lap in order to catch him. We had a good chance but couldn't take it,” Pedrosa admitted.

“Obviously Marc is in a very good moment now, winning four races in a row is impressive. But we made a good step here and now we need to focus on the upcoming races.”

Lorenzo has now dropped 44 points behind Marquez, leaving his title defence on the ropes.

"I am really disappointed because I feel in the best shape of my career but I cannot defend against the Hondas,” he said. “But I’m proud because I'm doing the best job I can do. The championship is not lost yet but it's very difficult now."

The British Grand Prix at Silverstone takes place this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment